I keep thinking of all these funny things I'm going to post on here, I just never get the chance to sit down and do it........ I get so many stupid questions about the boys being "socialized" since they are you know, homeschool weirdos. Honestly, people should really be worried more about the amount of actual schooling going on in our homeschooling - socialization actually happens much more frequently than schoolwork (I am partially kidding - please no one turn us in for not teaching the kids ;) So far in Costa Rica, the boys have been immersed in a new language and culture, learning to carry on simple conversations with adults, play with kids who can and cannot speak English and learn how to play with each other without toys - they're actually having to be creative. We haven't accomplished much "schoolwork" and I was feeling pretty defeated, but then I started to think about all the things they were actually getting hands on learning with: they have learned about the tides and how the moon affects them, dolphins (did you know a killer whale is actually a dolphin?), how to convert money, the metric system, volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis are just a few of the things that popped into my head. They haven't taken a grade level test, but have learned by experiencing it in real life - well not the earthquakes and tsunamis and I hope it stays that way!
Last week we took a vacation in our vacation and went to visit a couple of volcanoes. Words cannot describe how spectacular they were and the immense beauty of the things we saw. We were incredibly blessed with clear weather to see them with as that is not common in that area this time of year. First, here's a picture I took on our way - the truck got a flat tire and they just stop and change it in the middle of the highway!
This is Arenal Volcano, it used to erupt almost daily but hasn't for 2-3 years. You can see little bits of smoke coming out of the top. It truly is a breathtaking sight! We stayed at an awesome resort with a volcano view, waterslides and hot spring pools. Seriously, you have got to come to Costa Rica just to see it! This first picture below is the pool area - can you spot the waterslide? The boys were in heaven!
Next up: ziplining!!
2 comments:
Wow, I would love to home school my girls and be able to show them instead of sending them to school where they are focused on who is mad at them that day and all the stupid school drama. I think it is awesome.
I don't know if you heard, Billy proposed to Daphne last weekend. THEY ARE GETTING MARRIED.
Post a Comment